Calabrese is a rustic Italian Filone that has had time to rest and develop a moist open structure and a crust with attitude. This Italian classic with Buffalo Mozzarella, Prosciutto and Roma tomatoes makes for a mouth-watering meal.
Ingredients per sandwich:
1 loaf Backerhaus Veit Ciabatta Filone cut into 4 sandwich size pieces
4-5 slices dry cured Prosciutto
2 Bocconcini cheese sliced
1 washed and dried medium size Portobello mushroom thinly sliced
5 ml pesto
30 ml sundried tomatoes, julienne strips
1 leaf fresh green leaf lettuce
1. Slice the bread lengthwise.
2. Cover the bottom slice with green leaf lettuce.
3. Layer Bocconcini cheese and sliced Portobello mushrooms.
4. Top bottom slice with sundried tomatoes.
5. Roll Prosciutto and lay lengthwise.
6. Spread pesto onto top slice and place on top of sandwich.
Variation: substitute a seasoned olive oil for the pesto as an alternative.